Los Banos Community Center
Los Banos, CA
In its goal to revitalize its downtown, the City of Los Banos embarked on an ambi¬tious plan to acquire and develop the old railroad right-of-way adjacent to its down¬town. Mary McGrath led the design team in the development of the project program and design of a new 32,500SF. community center which will serve as a focal point of the City’s downtown corridor. The team collaborated with the City’s Community Center Task Force to build consensus on the building’s program – addressing highly-charged community issues. The first phase of the project included the development of master plan options for the community center and surrounding environs.
The project was completed successfully in 2010 and includes:
- A multi-purpose gym with a portable stage for performances and athletic activities
- A community special events room and an executive meeting room
- Activity rooms and computer labs for teens and seniors
- A dance and yoga studio
- Children’s daycare and outdoor playing areas
- Indoor arts and crafts area
- Administrative spaces and kitchen facilities
The community center design was developed around a courtyard which creates a bridge between the different uses. This gathering space encourages the many cultures, ages, abilities and sociabilities to be a part of the greater community. A great concern of the citizens was for the Community Center to be self sustaining financially and since the doors opened it has been a great success both financially and culturally.